Update, It's been awhile

It was a rough winter for all beekeepers. Temps were all over the place, highs and lows. Many hives were lost, but most not to the harsh winter, but the fact that the hive ran out of pollen. Pollen is the bee's protein source to feed brood. Almost all of the dead hives had lots of honey and didn't touch the candy boards.

I lost 3 langs and 2 top bar. Currently, I have 3 langs: one over wintered hive, one swarm and one colony from Billy Schulz. I did two splits on the top bar early spring and only one worked. Tried again several weeks ago. Haven't been able to check on it due to the high temps.

Been spending a lot of time on the property. Did a lot more clearing and clean up of areas that needed it. My neighbor came over and dug out the stumps from the garden area. So I have a garden now! 




Comments