Processing persimmons with a Victorio Food Strainer

I finally have the process to work smoothly.  Because the seeds are so large, you have modify the spiral. 

First modification was suggested by a friend that told me about the Victorio Strainer. He cut off about 1/2" of the end of the grape spiral. That worked, but it wasted a lot of pulp. This year I ground off some of the spiral from the end. I plan on grinding off a bit more. The spiral still gets jammed, but not very often.  For the first round of getting the seeds out, I used the pumpkin screen with the modified grape spiral. 


I run the leftover pulp through the stainer two to three times to get as much of the pulp strained.  In one processing, collected almost 70 pounds of persimmons and was able to get 17 pints of finished pulp. 

After getting out all of the seeds, I then take the pulp and run through the berry screen with an unmodified grape spiral.  I will run it through 4 or 5 times.  So far this year I have processed 86 pints. 


To make the process easier, I used the motor with straining the pulp. The motor can not be used while straining out the seeds! If the spiral jams with the motor running, something may break. 


Also, there is a spring that is used, I assume, to make the spiral fit in the screen better. I have stopped using it since it seems to cause processor to leak around the seal of the screen.  But the spring also extends the rod that turns the spiral, making the motor fit better.  I need to find a better way to get the motor to stay in place. 







Comments